Bonney Lake Adoption Attorney
At Christina T. Sherman, PLLC, our Bonney Lake adoption attorney is a knowledgeable, experienced, and solutions-focused advocate for clients. We specialize in adoption and family formation. Our legal team is prepared to invest the time, resources, and attention to detail to handle your case the right way. If you have any questions about adoption or family formation, please do not hesitate to reach out to us for a confidential, no-obligation initial legal consultation.
A Full-Service Adoption Law Firm Representing Families in Bonney Lake
Known for its breathtaking views of Mount Rainier, Bonney Lake is a great place for nature lovers. A rapidly growing community with a population that has nearly doubled over the last decade, Bonney Lake offers residents and visitors a wide range of outdoor activities, including hiking, boating, and fishing in nearby Lake Tapps. At Christina T. Sherman, PLLC, we are grateful to have the opportunity to work with clients in Bonney Lake and throughout Pierce County. Our legal team handles all types of adoption and family formation matters, including:
- Newborn Adoptions: Embarking on the path of adopting a newborn can be a wonderful, life-changing experience. You need a top attorney on your side. Our Bonney Lake adoption attorney is proficient in the complexities of newborn adoptions in Washington.
- Interstate Adoptions: Multi-state adoptions are more complicated. Through diligent coordination between all parties involved, our Bonney Lake, WA adoption attorney ensures a seamless transition for the child and your family.
- Independent Adoptions: In independent adoptions, the adoptive and natural parents often forgo the involvement of an adoption agency. The right lawyer is a must. Our Bonney Lake adoption lawyer has extensive experience with independent adoptions.
- Step-Parent Adoptions: Step-parent adoptions are unique. They can be especially complicated if you need to obtain consent for the child’s parent or the child (if a teenager); or if you need to do a contested trial. Our Bonney Lake step-parent adoption lawyer is ready to help you through both agreed and contested step parent adoptions.
- Same-Sex Adoptions: We help clients with all aspects of LGBTQ adoptions. With the experience needed to navigate the nuances of same-sex adoptions, our Bonney Lake adoption attorney ensures that clients receive both rigorous and compassionate representation.
- Family Adoptions: Adopting a relative’s child entails a delicate balance of familial and legal considerations. We provide adept legal counsel in these cases, working to secure the child’s best interests while protecting your rights every step of the way.
- Foster Care Adoptions: Special factors arise in foster care adoptions. Our Bonney Lake adoption attorney is highly knowledgeable in the regulations governing foster care adoptions. We provide comprehensive legal support to families navigating foster care.
- Surrogacy Agreements: Building a family through surrogacy necessitates a sound legal framework. Our Bonney Lake adoption attorney specializes in drafting robust surrogacy agreements, ensuring that the rights and responsibilities of our clients are protected.
- Donor Agreements: Utilizing a sperm or egg donor in a family building requires a meticulously structured agreement. If you have any questions about donor agreements in Washington, our Bonney Lake, WA family formation attorney is ready to help.
Understanding Washington’s Adoption Requirements
Adoption in Bonney Lake, WA: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the Difference Between an Open and Closed Adoption?
In an open adoption, there is some level of communication between the natural parents and the adoptive family. The degree of openness can vary, but typically it includes the exchange of letters, photos, and sometimes visits or phone calls. natural parents and adoptive parents may have an agreement on the type and frequency of communication.
In contrast, a closed adoption involves no contact between the natural parents and the adoptive family after the adoption is finalized. In this type of adoption, birth records are typically sealed, and there is little to no exchange of information.
Families are more frequently opting for open adoption these days. Whether an adoption is open or closed, and the level of openness in the adoption depends upon the agreements between the natural parents and the adoptive parents.
What is a Home Study in an Adoption?
A home study is a crucial part of the adoption process that involves an evaluation of the prospective adoptive family’s home and personal background. It assesses the suitability and capability of the prospective adoptive parents to provide a safe and loving environment for a child. The process usually includes:
- Background checks for criminal history or child abuse;
- Interviews with all members of the household including the children adoptees, if possible;
- Home visits to assess the living environment;
- Collection of financial, medical, and personal references; and
- Education and counseling to prepare for adoption.
Is the Process Different for Step-Parent Adoptions?
The process for step-parent adoption can be less complicated, and sometimes much more complicated compared to other forms of adoption. In step-parent adoptions, one of the biological parents remains the child’s legal parent, while the spouse of that parent adopts the child. Typically, the noncustodial biological parent must give consent or have their parental rights terminated for the adoption to proceed.
Where a natural parental refuses to give their consent to the adoption of the child contrary to the best interest of the child, their rights may be terminated through an independent trial terminating their parental rights. Our managing partner Christina T. Sherman has represented numerous clients in both agreed and contested adoptions, and is ready willing and able to take your case to trial if the facts necessitate it.
How Washington Adoption and Family Formation Lawyer Christina T. Sherman Can Help
- Listen to what you have to say, answer adoption questions, and explain the next steps;
- Help you understand your options and gather all of the supporting documents you need;
- Guide you through all of the legal adoption paperwork; and
- Take the legal action needed to help you establish and/or grow your family.
Contact Our Bonney Lake Adoption Attorney for Immediate Help
Your family is important to us. Contact us today.
We understand that the adoption process may seem overwhelming, and we are dedicated to getting answers to whatever questions you may have.
We serve clients throughout Tacoma, Pierce County, King County, Thurston County, Kitsap County, and the Western Washington area.