University Place Adoption Attorney
At Christina T. Sherman, PLLC, our University Place adoption lawyer is a passionate, experienced, and solutions-driven advocate for families. We handle all types of adoption and family formation matters in Pierce County. Have specific questions about adoption or family formation? We are here as a legal resource. To arrange a completely private, no-obligation initial consultation with an experienced Washington adoption attorney, please do not hesitate to contact us today.
Our Firm Helps Families With the Full Range of Adoptions in University Place
- Newborn Adoptions: Welcoming a newborn into your family is a momentous, transformative event. You do not have to navigate the process alone. Our University Place, WA adoption lawyer is standing by, ready to navigate every step of the system—from facilitating communications between natural parents and adoptive parents in open adoptions to ensuring all legal requirements are met.
- Interstate Adoptions: Are you preparing for a cross-state adoption? There are unique rules and regulations that apply. Our University Place adoption lawyer will assist you in managing the nuances of the process. It is our goal to ensure that you have the comprehensive counsel needed to ensure your rights and interests are protected.
- Independent Adoptions: In Washington State, you can adopt a child privately with the help of an attorney. These are called independent adoptions. In independent adoptions, the direct involvement of birth and adoptive parents is paramount. Our University Place adoption attorney has the professional and legal expertise that you can trust.
- Step-Parent Adoptions: Creating and formalizing official family ties through step-parent adoptions can strengthen bonds. We guide step-parents through every aspect of their legal journey. Contact our University Place step-parent adoption attorney for immediate help.
- Same-Sex Adoptions: In our pursuit of equality and fairness for all families, we provide specialized services for same-sex couples looking to adopt. Our Washington attorneys are attuned to the unique aspects and potential challenges faced by same-sex couples.
- Family Adoptions: When a child is adopted by a relative, it is important to consider the unique emotional and legal dimensions involved. We are experienced in handling the sensitive nature of these adoptions.
- Foster Care Adoptions: Are you preparing to adopt a child out of Washington’s foster care system? Our University Place adoption lawyer is more than ready to help you with all aspects of a foster care adoption.
- Surrogacy Agreements: Surrogacy can provide the answer for building and growing families. It is crucial that you have the proper agreement in place. Our University Place, WA family formation lawyer has deep experience with surrogacy agreements.
- Donor Agreements: When conception involves the generous contribution of a donor, a well-drafted legal agreement is essential. If you have any questions about donor agreements, please do not hesitate to contact our Washington family formation lawyer for help.
Who Can Adopt in Washington State?
- 18 years of age;
- Legally competent;
- Complete background check and home study, and for a judge to find that the adoption is in the child’s best interest.
Adoption in University Place, WA: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Open Adoption an Available Option in University Place, WA?
Yes. Washington State allows for both open adoptions and closed adoptions. In an open adoption, natural parents and adoptive parents have some form of contact, which can range from letters and photos to phone calls or visits. The level of openness is determined by the mutual agreement of the natural parents and the adoptive parents.
Why Would an Adoption Petition Be Denied?
There are several reasons why an adoption petition might be denied in Washington State, including: 1) Problematic issues revealed in the home study, 2) Negative information in the background checks, and 3) The determination by the court that the adoption is not in the best interests of the child.
Are Post-Adoption Resources Available in Washington?
Yes, there is actually a wide range of public, non-profit, and private post-adoption resources available to support adoptive families in University Place and throughout Washington. Your attorney can help you understand and connect with the available resources.
Families Trust Washington Adoption and Family Formation Attorney Christina T. Sherman
Adoption is a wonderful process. Adding a new member to your growing family is exciting. At the same time, adoption and other types of family formation can be stressful, even overwhelming. An Academy Fellow recognized by the Academy of Adoption and Assisted Reproduction Attorneys, our managing lawyer Christina T. Sherman has the specialized knowledge and expertise that you can rely on. When you reach out to our law firm, you will have an opportunity to consult with a University Place adoption lawyer who can:
- Listen to your story and answer your adoption questions;
- Help you gather the documents, records, and information to get prepared;
- Handle all of the legal adoption paperwork; and
- Develop a plan of action to help you address any challenges that might arise.
Set Up a Confidential Consultation With Our University Place Adoption Lawyer Today
At Christina T. Sherman, PLLC, our University Place adoption attorney is a dedicated advocate with more than 20 years of experience. We are focused on helping people form and grow their families. Call us now or connect with us online to arrange your strictly private, no-commitment initial appointment. Our firm provides adoption and family formation services in University Place and throughout all of Pierce County.
Your family is important to us. Contact us today.
We understand that the adoption process may seem overwhelming, and we are dedicated to getting answers to whatever questions you may have.
We serve clients throughout Tacoma, Pierce County, King County, Thurston County, Kitsap County, and the Western Washington area.