Adoption Attorneys in Puyallup, WA
At Christina T. Sherman, PLLC, our Puyallup adoption attorney is a reliable, compassionate, and attentive advocate for clients. With extensive experience, our firm has helped hundreds of people build and grow their families. If you have any specific questions or concerns about adoption or family formation more broadly, we are here as a legal resource. Contact us today for your fully confidential consultation with an experienced Puyallup adoption lawyer.
We Handle All Types of Adoptions in Puyallup, Washington
- Newborn Adoptions: One of the most joyous experiences in life is welcoming a newborn into your family. Our legal team is well-versed in the legal process of newborn adoptions in Puyallup, Washington. We ensure that all necessary documentation is accurately prepared and submitted. We are here to guide prospective parents through home studies, post-placement assessments, and all other issues.
- Interstate Adoptions: Interstate adoptions involve adopting a child from a different state than where the adoptive parents reside. Our Puyallup, WA adoption lawyer is adept at navigating the legal intricacies of the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC), which governs these adoptions.
- Independent Adoptions: In independent adoptions, adoptive parents work directly with the natural parents, often without the involvement of an adoption agency. It is a big mistake to try to do this without proper legal representation. You need an experienced Puyallup adoption lawyer on your side.
- Step-Parent Adoptions: Step-parent adoptions solidify the bond between a step-parent and step-child, legally recognizing them as parent and child. We assist parents and step-parents throughout all aspects of the adoption process.
- Same-Sex Adoptions: In Washington, same-sex adoption is permissible—but some unique challenges can still arise. Our Puyallup adoption lawyer is committed to helping LGBTQ parents with the adoption process. If you have any questions about same-sex adoptions in Washington, we are here to help.
- Family Adoptions: Family adoptions involve adopting a relative’s child. This can be a grandparent adopting a grandchild, an aunt or uncle adopting a niece or nephew, etc. We assist in preparing the necessary documentation, ensuring that the adoption is in the child’s best interest and meets all legal requirements for family adoptions.
- Foster Care Adoptions: Adopting a child from foster care can be a fulfilling way to build a family. Our Puyallup adoption lawyer is proficient in guiding families through the specific regulations and procedures involved in adopting a child from the foster care system.
- Surrogacy Agreements: Are you considering entering a surrogacy agreement? It is imperative that you are represented by an experienced attorney. Our firm has extensive experience handling surrogacy agreement issues in Washington. We assist in drafting comprehensive agreements that protect your rights and interests and adhere to Washington state law.
- Donor Agreements: In cases where an individual or couple uses a sperm or egg donor to conceive a child, it is critical to have a clear legal agreement in place. Our Pullayup family formation lawyer assists clients in drafting and negotiating donor agreements that outline the rights, responsibilities, and expectations of all parties—thereby helping our clients reduce the risk of future legal disputes.
What are the Requirements to Become an Adoptive Parent?
Adoption in Puyallup, WA: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the Process for Adopting a Child in Washington State?
- First, the parental rights of the alleged and legal parents who will not be adoption must be terminated. The parental rights can be terminated because the natural parents consent to the adoption (this is called relinquishment), or because their parental rights were terminated either through an independent action to terminate their parental rights, or because the state has terminated their rights through a dependency.
- Second, a court must find, that the adoption is in the best interest of the child. The court does that after reviewing the report of an adoption social worker (called an adoption home study) that evaluates whether adoption by the Adoptive Parents would be in the child’s best interest. Christina T. Sherman, PLLC has many contacts with adoption social workers so that they can help you find a social worker in your area to complete your adoption home study.
How Long Does the Adoption Process Take in Washington?
What are the Costs Associated with Adopting a Child in Pierce County, Washington?
Why Rely On Washington Adoption and Family Formation Lawyer Christina T. Sherman
Schedule a Confidential Consultation With Our Puyallup Adoption Lawyer Today
Your family is important to us. Contact us today.
We understand that the adoption process may seem overwhelming, and we are dedicated to getting answers to whatever questions you may have.
We serve clients throughout Tacoma, Pierce County, King County, Thurston County, Kitsap County, and the Western Washington area.